LOCATION: OCEAN GROVE, NJ
ARCHITECTS: BRENDAN MCHUGH & MARK PAVLIV
The original building burned down in a tremendous fire. The Phoenix, as the building was aptly named, holds specialty shops on Main Street + two floors of residential housing. The new design obtained historical approval and the design lends to the historical landmark, and the downtown feel:
- Multiple retail storefronts on the first floor with transom windows and wood doors.
- Open porches for the residences.
- Italianate roofline with brackets above.
We help our clients navigate the inherently complex set of requirements while balancing each of the different interests for a project, such as the planning board, the future tenants, the occupants in the retail space, the builder, the code officials, and of course the owner. Our goal is to help design a building that is a profitable investment property.
Some of the goals we achieved with this project are:
- Strategies implemented for approval of a larger footprint than allowed by current zoning ordinances.
- Design & construction solutions increased profitability and tenant retention & satisfaction.
- Leases were eagerly signed ahead of completion.
- Atypical utility & service challenges overcome.
- Historic society approvals achieved.
- ADA accessibility,
- Elevator access,
- Fully sprinklered building,
- Open porches for the residences,
- Multiple retail storefronts on the first floor,
- Transom windows and wood doors,
- Italianate roof line with brackets above.